It's A Dogs Life

People. They astonish me at every turn.
Take for instance my neighbors who occupy a huge lot.
In fact, here is a picture of their shit place:

I mean, what is all that junk? Look at that shed! Those decrepit trailers. Click on the image for the full size (it's worth it).
Anyway....


Last year they had 2 dogs, one a quiet mutt and the other, some kind of Terrier:
I cannot stress how yappy this creature was. It would yap at you when you walked outside. It would yap at you when you came home from work. It would yap at passing cars, at passing trains, at passing Robins. It would yap at its own yap. My wonderful neighbors took it all in stride. They kept these 2 dogs in their outside dog cage ALL THE TIME. It yapped so much, I began forming an image of this beast in my mind. It looked something like this:

Even the owners were annoyed at the barking. They would, in fact, yap at their own dog to SHUT UP! Their own voice drowning out the pup. Cut to neighbor's door closing. Quick cut to Terrier. Cue Terrier...and.....bark!

At some point I heard my other neighbor finally loose his cool and screamed at the dog to shut up. I'm fairly certain the cops were called to the house. Since then, I have not seen either of the two dogs.

My neighbors have a new dog now. A beautiful husky-ish creature. Thankfully it doesn't bark very much. And it certainly doesn't yap at you when you come home from work. Oh, there is one small problem however. It howls. A lot. And not just a lot. But at very inconvenient times. Last night I thought I'd grab my digital camera and take some footage of it to at least get the audio (it was night).

And let me just say before we view the video, that the howling is not your normal dog howl. It sounds like...well, it sounds like yours truly having sex.

Here's the clip: (It's worth watching the whole thing - especially around the 2:45 mark).


Now imagine this happening all day long. All night long. Every day. Every night. I haven't heard a single shout from the owner for this thing to shut up. It makes me wonder if shortly after getting this dog, that one of the owners snapped and chopped up his family into little bits and then managed to slip on the blood and bash his head against the corner of an oak table and died instantly. There is not a soul around. This creature could be starving for all I know.

But really, who does this? And why do they do it? Oh wait a second, I just looked at the picture of their place again. Never mind. People. My Naivety astonishes me at every turn.

Comments

  1. I swear my neighbors just bought the same damn dog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three of the last four neighbors who lived next door to me had dogs like this. The dogs barked/bark when a leaf falls. This is not the country, this is an urban area with lots of activity always.

    Two of the dogs were large and hurled themselves against the door and the windows when the mail came, when someone walked by on the sidewalk, when another animal, squirrel, etc., was near which was frequently. Or for no reason. When the dogs were bothering them, they would put them outside.

    One of the owners ran a daycare from the home and a friend said the dog grabbed the food from the toddlers' hands. So at one point the toddlers were being seated in the center of the large dining room table so they could eat. I am not making this up. So when people move in now, we expect them to have dogs that bark constantly, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jar Jar Binks or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Politician

Wheat Chaff (a short story)