The Wonderful Jesus of Oz

I just recently read L. Frank Baum's Wizard of Oz. I was startled to find the following quote, which to my mind perfectly explains not only Jesus, but how he has been able to last for 2000 years.



After the Wizard of Oz has given the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Lion the thing they want the most (in fact they already had what they desired all the time), the Wizard muses to himself:

"How can I help being a humbug," he said, "when all these people make me do things that everybody knows can't be done? It was easy to make the Scarecrow and the Lion and the Woodsman happy, because they imagined I could do anything."

Comments

  1. Wow. Great comparison. In 500 years or so people will be looking back and laughing at us the same way we laugh at the ancients who prayed to the stars and believed in things like throwing sacrifices into volcanos to appease the "fire god". LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jar Jar Binks or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Politician

Wheat Chaff (a short story)